2 Simple Family-Friendly Soups Itís cold, your family has been cooped up, and your fresh out of ideas for dinner. Use these super (simple) soup recipes to save the day! BY CHERYL TALLMAN
Warm up your home and get the family involved with some delicious soup.
“ Line up a series of topping choices and let the kids sprinkle their own toppings on the soup to make it their own.”
Celebrate "National Soup Month" and keep your family cozy and warm by making a soup bar for a family fun dinner!
Prepare a simple soup recipe, like Black Bean Soup or the Thai Coconut Soup (recipes below) and spoon it into bowls or cups.† Line up a series of topping choices and let the kids (and adults) sprinkle their own additives on the soup to make it their own.
Soups are a fun and easy way to warm you up when it's cold outside, and these two recipes are sure to satisfy. Try them tonight!
Black Bean Soup Ingredients:
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans (16 oz. each) Mexican-style tomatoes with mild green chilies (do not drain)
2 cans (15 oz. each) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15 oz.) chicken broth
2 teaspoons ground cumin
Directions: 1. In a medium-size saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and sautť for 5 minutes, until the onion is tender.
2. In a blender or food processor, combine the onions, tomatoes and the beans. Process until smooth (this can be done in two batches, if necessary).
3. In the medium saucepan, combine the bean mixture, broth and cumin. Cook over low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Serve the soup hot, topping each bowl with any or all of the garnishes.
Soup Bar Topping ideas * Thinly sliced green onions * Chopped cilantro * Cubes of avocado * Wedges of lemon or lime * Sour cream * Bacon bits * Diced ham or chicken * Shredded cheese * Croutons or broiled cheese toasts
Thai Chicken Coconut Soup Ingredients:
2 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 - 1 tsp. Thai red curry paste
5 cups chicken stock
1 can (13 oz.) coconut milk
6 thin slices of fresh ginger
3 tbsp. lime juice
2 tbsp. fish sauce
3/4 lb. boneless chicken breast, thinly sliced
Directions: 1. Slice chicken breast into very thin strips and set aside.
2. In a large soup pot over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the red curry paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
3. Add chicken stock, coconut milk, ginger, lime juice, fish sauce and chicken breast. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat and simmer for 12 minutes.
4. Remove and discard the ginger slices before serving.
Soup Bar Topping ideas
†* Baby spinach, sliced into thin shreds * Button mushrooms, very thinly sliced * Thinly sliced green onions * Chopped cilantro * Cubes of avocado * Wedges of lemon or lime * Crispy rice or Chow Mein noodles
Cheryl Tallman is the co-founder of Fresh Baby, creators of the award-winning So Easy Baby Food Kit, and author of the "So Easy Baby Food" and the new book "So Easy Toddler Food: Survival Tips and Simple Recipes for the Toddler Years." Visit Cheryl online at www.FreshBaby.com for more delicious tips.