16 Products to Help Your Face, Skin, Lips, & Immune System Survive the Cold These 16 products that will provide you with an extra layer of protection and luxury from cold weather. BY MARLA TOMAZIN
When the weather is cold it's important to protect your body from the harsh environment.
“ As an image consultant, I know that what you wear is only window dressing if you donít feel confident and comfortable on a basic level.”
The snow that has fallen during this abnormally chilly winter (and still falling in the Spring) has been absolutely beautiful to watchÖ but if youíre like many women, thatís where your enjoyment of the seasons stop. Between the polar vortex and artificial heating, the odds are high that your skin is dry and your lips are chapped. And thatís not even taking into account the havoc wreaked on your immune system. But take heart; you donít have to continue to suffer.
While you may not be able to change the weather forecast, you can choose how to deal with its effects. As Iíve battled this particularly harsh New York City weather, Iíve made it my mission to find the best ways to soothe my skin and keep germs away.
As an image consultant, I know that what you wear is only window dressing if you donít feel confident and comfortable on a basic level. When your skin is dull and itchy, your lips are chapped, and youíre feeling run down, your self-image will suffer no matter how stylish your wardrobe is. Thatís why itís important to focus on refreshing and revitalizing your skin (which is your bodyís largest organ!) and staying healthy in general.
Here, I present a list of the best products to help you do just that:
Aside from the chic boots, scarves, and other cold weather clothes we all love, not much about being chilly is glamorous. In particular, your face really suffers as itís continuously exposed to wind, dry air, and constantly changing temperatures. If youíre suffering from dry, tight, chapped skin, read on for four products that can make a world of difference.
* Clarins Double Serum. Amongst other states, New York has had especially harsh weather, but Iíve been able to keep my face looking and feeling good. During a makeup night at Bloomingdaleís, a makeup artist used the Clarins Double Serum on a friend, and I couldnít believe what a difference it made. I decided to try it later and am so glad I did! Apply this serum all over your face, except around your eyes, for a look thatís luminous without feeling greasy.
* Clarins Super Restorative Eye Concentrate. After youíve applied the double serum to your face, apply this product around your eyes. It will keep your eyes from looking puffy and tired.
* Clarins Super Restorative Tinted Cream. If you really want to go the extra mile, this product is great to use in place of your normal foundation. The tint looks very natural, and as a bonus, has a 25 percent SPF ratingówhich is still important even in the depths of cold weather! The combination of these three Clarins products leaves a beautiful finish.
* RapidLash. You may not have ever considered the effect that winter-like weather can have on your eyelashes, but cold temperatures can dry them out, just as much as they do the hair on your head. The good news is, you can cultivate longer, more luxurious lashes without breaking the bank, and theyíll help your entire face to look brighter and more youthful. I have been using RapidLash for about two months and I can really tell a difference. You apply a thin line every night along the base of your lashes, the same way youíd put on eyeliner. It doesnít burn, itís not oily, and it really works!
Dry Skin & Brittle Nails
Two of the most irritating effects of cold weather are dry skin and weakened nails. No matter how much lotion or cream you slather on, nothing you do seems to make a difference for long. But thatís about to change. I have put together a list of seven products to keep your skin and hands feeling fresh and moisturized all day long.
* Nailtiques. Having trouble keeping your nails looking good between manicures? Look no further. Nailtiques is the go-to for cuticle care oil. A friend who has been using this product for about six months recommended it to me. I have seen improvements in both my nails and cuticles in just one month of use, despite the awful temperatures and wind!
* Curel. For body moisturizing, Curel is my reliable go-to. Iíve used Curel on my feet since it was recommended by my podiatrist and I love it.
* CeraVe Body Cream. CeraVe body cream was recommended to my husband by a top dermatologist in New York. Itís thick, soothing, and extremely moisturizing. Best of all, one application lasts all day.
* Fresh Sugar Acai Age-Delay Body Cream. If you feel like splurging on your skin, try this. Itís very thick and very moisturizing. Just use it sparingly!
* Aveda Hand Relief. Iím sure you know how it feels when your hands are so chapped and rough you just want to scream! Well, thatís a thing of the past with Aveda Hand Relief. It instantly soothes my dry hands and keeps them feeling moisturized throughout the day.
* Aveda Foot Relief. This foot relief cream has peppermint in itómy favorite. When youíve been on your feet a lot, itís so cooling and refreshing to smooth on at the end of the day.
* LíOccitane Hand Cream with Shea Butter. A friend gave me this as a gift, and it really does the trick. It feels good, and the honey, almond, and coconut scents remind me of warmer temperatures.
All About Lips
Spend five minutes outside in these temperatures and youíll probably experience dry, cracked lipsówhich are unsightly and uncomfortable. Here are two products I recommend to help you find lip bliss in the midst of cold weather:
* Aquaphor. Aquaphor is an incredible product that you can pick up at your local drugstore. I usually put it on, then use a clean towel to buff my lips. The dry skin comes right off, leaving my lips smooth and soft.
* Young Living Cinnamint Lip Balm. I also apply this daily. Iíve used it for years and it always gives me great results. The peppermint oil in it, which is absolutely wonderful, gives my lips a warm little tingle.
Immune System Support
Flu and cold season are in full swing, and itís crucial that you take care of yourself. Aside from trying to avoid those who are sick, here are three products you can use to keep yourself healthy.
* Young Living Inner Defense. Young Living Inner Defense, which comes in pill capsules and contains health-reinforcing essential oils, is exactly the boost your immune system needs. I take one-to-two capsules per day as a preventative measure, and so far, so good! If you feel a cold coming on, you can take up to five per day.
* Young Living Thieves Oil. To some, sanitizing everything in your house on a fairly regular basis might seem unnecessary, but to me, itís just good sense. YL Thieves Oil, which has a 99.99 percent bacteria kill rate, is a must-have household item. I diffuse the oil in our apartment, which makes it smell and feel clean.
* Thieves Household Cleaner. I also depend on this product to keep my house germ-free. It is non-toxic and has replaced most cleaning products in our home. We use it to clean the counters, all mirrors and glass, and the floors. I also spray it on a paper towel and use it to wipe down glasses, phones, and iPadsóplaces that are usually skipped over during a cleaning spree, but house a ton of bacteria! This household cleaner smells good, is safe, and gets the job done for a reasonable price. I recommend mixing about two capfuls with water in a spray bottle for cleaning.
When you succeed in keeping the cold from negatively affecting your face, skin, and immune system, youíll be surprised by how much more bearable the weather seems. Choose the products you need to put a spring in your step. And in the meantime, donít forget to drink lots of wateróit really does help to hydrate your hair, skin, and nails!
Marla Tomazin, Certified Image Consultant, established her image consulting business in 1990 with the goal of helping clients identify an authentic image and develop its effective expression. From a successful career in the fashion industry, Marla gained expertise in retail buying, merchandising, sales, and marketing. Marla utilizes her abilities in evaluating body shape, movement, and coloring as well as synthesizing optimal cuts, lines, colors, and textures. This results in balance and proportion that accentuate attributes and conceal flaws. Her clients include women, men, and corporations seeking external revitalization that mirrors their internal development. For more information, please visit www.marlatomazin.com.