Tips To Help Women Identify & Reduce Workplace Stress Donít let workplace stress get the best of you and your marriage. Use these tips to help identify and reduce stress. BY DEBBIE MANDEL
The most effective way to deal with stress is to first identify the source.
“ Keep in mind that women donít compartmentalize the way men do. They bring their stress home with them and this stress inevitably seeps into their marriage.”
While the workplace can be a seething cauldron of stress for both genders, women tend to experience the following work-related stress symptoms like, short-term memory loss, lack of clarity, suppressed anger, fatigue and weight gain. A Wall Street Journal article, "Office Stress: His Versus Hers" by Lauren Weber and Sue Shellenbarger asserts that women suffer more stress than their male counterparts at work. Keep in mind that women donít compartmentalize the way men do. They bring their stress home with them and this stress inevitably seeps into their marriage.
In my stress-management workshops I have observed how women process stress: Women feel stress more intensely than men as they tend to get stuck in a stress loop. Also, they adhere to an endless to-do list with little time allocated for personal relaxation and fun. In other words, they are crazy busy with little me-time.
Reasons for female stress in the workplace:
* Women like to please (tend and befriend), and when they feel under-appreciated for their hard work, they get upset.
* A womanís work is never done. Even in this day and age, in many cases children and household responsibilities fall inequitably on smaller female shoulders. She works inside and outside of the home.
* In this economy more women have had to enter the workforce to make ends meet for their family while some of the men are still unemployed.
* According to a new survey from the American Psychological Association, women say that they feel undervalued: In other words they make less money than their male counterparts.
* In the same survey women claim that they work in jobs with little potential for advancement.
* Women tend to be more self-suppressed than menógrin and bear it.
How to reduce stress at work:
* Donít wait for external circumstances to create peace for you because serenity is inside out. Get yourself in emotional alignment through exercise or meditation.
* Donít sell your soul for the job. Use your authentic voice to speak up in a calm assertive voice. Speaking up about small things boosts your self-respect and gives you control. Gradually enhance your voice.
* Take a few moments daily to introspect about your busyness. What low practice inhibits you from being the best that you can be? Start a new habit.
* Move around. You are not married to your job. Look for another job, line of work, or business opportunity which is less stressful. Keep in mind work/life balance.
* Adhere to minimum daily requirements for personal balance. This means sleeping, time out for the self, enjoying your family, eating properly.
* Come to work as a student, eager to learn new things instead of someone who has the pressure to know it allóperfectly. Look for new opportunities.
* In the morning, wake up a few minutes earlier to give yourself time to collect your thoughts and take control of your day.
* Donít believe everything you think. Change the lens of perception to one of greater optimism and hope.