DJ Unk Offers 6 Tips to Help Your Family Cope with a Famous Parent Famous or not, it’s important to separate your professional life from your personal. When in the spotlight, use these tips to help you and your family stay grounded. BY ANTHONY PLATT (DJ UNK)
Being in the spotlight can present new challenges, but establishing some guidelines can keep you grounded.
“ What I do affects them in every way. We live every day as a team.”
I knew when I looked into my first born's eyes for the first time, and all my children after, I would do all I can to protect and take care of them offering them the best of me. When my music career took off with the hit singles, Walk it Out and 2 Step, I was happy. I was happy for me and for my family and I was thankful for my fans.
Even after my stardom, I still had to remember everyday my first and foremost commitment. My first commitment has always been to be a dedicated father and husband. I have been married, and with the same woman, for over 10 years and I have 5 children with different personalities and talents. It is my desire to make them all happy and help them become the best they can be, all while growing my brand and expanding my career.
In order to lay the foundation for my family and manage to have a career as an entertainer, I had to separate my public life as the artist DJ Unk, from my real life as Anthony Platt, husband and father, by implementing some rules of thumb.
Here are my six rules of thumb I live by to protect my family from the light of fame:
1. I always make time for my kid’s studies. I take the time to review their homework and check it for errors. We discuss their studies to help them learn everything possible. When I am home, I take my kids to school, which gives us a great opportunity to talk and be part of their world as they change and grow.
2. I schedule and keep my date night with my wife. Every week we have to spend quality alone time together. We reconnect and focus on what is happening in our lives as people, apart from work and kids. Taking this time to let her know I appreciate and care about her keeps us solid when I am away.
3. I involve my wife and kids in my career whenever possible. I ask their opinion on my wardrobe and ask for musical advice. My daughters are my hardest critics, and they keep me on my toes. They have a true sense that their input and opinions, both professionally and personally matter to me. What I do affects them in every way. We live every day as a team.
4. When I travel, I call back home often and Skype when able. In today’s world, there is a tremendous amount of technology to keep us close. We create pages on Instagram for photo sharing and we text all throughout the day. My family knows that no matter where I am, I am always available whenever possible.
5. We create one-on-one time with each child. I take each of my children out individually, to make sure we have focused time to connect with each other. I have a big family, and I have to be sure to spend personal time with each child so that I can highlight their personal talents and be available to support them with any struggles. That is much easier when we have alone time to discuss and come up with ways to handle life’s challenges.
6. For celebrations and birthdays, I go all out. I get the blow-up slides, bounce houses, I DJ the event, and invite my kid’s friends and family out to have fun. It is often the case that some neighbors show up too, and we hang out and enjoy ourselves. Enjoying the fun of my life with family and friends helps overcome some of the struggles that come with fame.
So yes, it takes effort on my part to be sure I take care of the home so I can keep doing what I love to do, which is getting out there making great music, spending time with my fans, and sharing the love and support with my family. Happy family, happy fans—I couldn't ask for a better life.
Anthony Platt commonly known by his stage name Unk is an American DJ and rapper. He began spinning records in 1998, and, after meeting DJ Jelly and DJ Montay, joined their DJ entourage, the Southern StyleDj's. DJ Unk's debut album Beat'n Down Yo Block sold over 300,000 units with lead single "Walk It Out" selling more than 4million singles, making this single certified platinum while the follow up single "2 Step" sold over 500,000 units, making it a Gold record. DJ Unk has been working on his new E.D.M. album "Revamp" which will be released in 2014 https://www.facebook.com/DJUnk.