Improve Your Energy Levels Instantly with This Shower Technique Here are 5 reasons you should take a Scottish Shower in the morning. BY DR. STEVEN GUNDRY
Get a jolt of energy in the morning by turning your warm shower cold.
“ Taking a cold shower for up to 5 minutes, 2 to 3 times per week, was shown to help relieve mood symptoms in one clinical trial.”
We’re all looking for more energy in our lives, right? We seek out pills and potions and double shots of espresso every single day. What if there was a really simple technique that’ll not only wake you up, but also help your body stay energized throughout the day? And what if I then told you that it was free and that you already had it your disposal?
Introducing, the Scottish Shower.
It goes a little something like this:
Hop in the shower and start with warm water like normal. Then, gradually cool the water down.
By the last couple of minutes of the shower, you should be running nothing but cold water.
That’s all there is to it!
Now, I know the thought of doing this may make you shiver… no one really loves a cold shower, right? But...
1. You WILL get used to it fairly quickly. (You’ll probably surprise yourself)
2. You’ll feel AMAZING afterward… every time. And that’s enough of a reason to try it.
Why does this technique work?
The magic of cold water is that it stimulates your autonomic nervous system by triggering a "fight or flight" response—the same one your ancestors had for facing down a prehistoric tiger. This response results in increased oxygen and nutrient delivery all over your body... and there’s more!
Here are 5 Ways in Which a Scottish Shower May Benefit You
1. Cold showers help you to burn more fat. They do this by activating brown adipose tissue—or "fat-burning fat"—in your body. This tissue burns through your body fat (white adipose tissue) to heat you back up when you’re under the cold water.
2. Cold showers make your skin and hair look better. Hot water thins out the nourishing oils on your skin and hair and strips them away. Cold water, on the other hand, leaves these important oils intact, leaving you with brighter skin and shinier hair.
3. Cold showers can improve your mood. Taking a cold shower for up to 5 minutes, 2 to 3 times per week, was shown to help relieve mood symptoms in one clinical trial. It’s said that a cold shower can activate the sympathetic nervous system and increase endorphins (happiness hormones), leading to feelings of well-being and optimism.
4. Cold showers can improve circulation. Cold showers feel so invigorating because the water is colder than our natural body temperature, causing the body to work (slightly) harder to maintain core body temperature. This can make our circulatory system more efficient. It’s the same reason that elite athletes use cold water therapy for injuries. It hastens the delivery of freshly oxygenated blood to the area, speeding up recovery time.
5. Cold showers may boost your immune system. Cold showers have even shown to impact the immune system with one study showing a 30% reduction in sickness absence from work from those who undertook a daily hot-to-cold shower. The study followed 3,000 men and women who were told to turn the shower to cold for up to 90 seconds each morning.
With all the benefits mentioned above, it's easy to see why I recommend taking a Scottish Shower first thing in the morning to guarantee that you’ll get that all-day energy surge!
Dr. Steven Gundry is a renowned heart surgeon, New York Times best-selling author, and medical researcher. He is the author of three books: Dr. Gundry’s Diet Evolution; The Plant Paradox; and out in April 2018, The Plant Paradox Cookbook. As the leading expert on the lectin-free diet as the key to longevity and vitality, Dr. Gundry believes we have the ability to heal ourselves through nutrition if certain dietary obstacles are removed.