14 Ways To Keep Your Wife Happy Itís time to go beyond the flowers and the candy and use a little etiquette. BY DIANE GOTTSMAN
Chivalry isn't dead, and you have the power to prove it.
“ If you think having her friends notice you will impress your wife and make her want you more, think again.”
Hey guys, just because you were lucky enough to marry her doesnít mean you can rest on your laurels now. Here are some steps to keeping your wife happy:
1. Keep you language G-rated. While it is true that bad language is not isolated to the men, most women appreciate a husband who is verbally respectful and has a command of the English (French or German) language. It has been said that when one must resort to foul languageómale or femaleóit is because he/she lacks the intelligence to compose their words in any other fashion. Talk to her like you did on the day that you met her.
2. Open her door and walk closest to the street. When you are taking your wife out on a date, polish up your social skills and open her car door, leave her at the curb if it is raining, and when the night is almost over and you suggest a midnight stroll, walk on the outside nearest to the cars. Chivalry is not dead, just dormant.
3. Learn to dance. You will feel much more confident on the dance floor, rather than seated in a chair, while watching your wife "cutting a rug" with your best friend. Suggest a dance class with your wife and learn how to salsa, tango or ballroom dance. Anything is better than awkwardly watching from afar.
4. Get rid of your outdated disco-dating clothes. Unless you are a part of the mob or studying for the priesthood, the all black, monotone look from head to toe, including your hair and mustache is a little too harsh.
5. White socks are goofy if not worn with confidence. Your old high school sport socks should be quickly replaced with clean, new dress socks to go with your corporate image. Donít wait for your wife to throw them away, do it for her. P.S. Black dress socks with tennis shoes is another roadblock to impressing your wife with your stylish flair.
6. If you are a non-smoker, you are ahead of the game. Nicotine-stained teeth and smoke-filled clothes are two strikes you canít afford to have against you. Plus, your wife will appreciate the extra years you are around, sharing your life with her.
7. Brush up on your dining skills. Keep your fingers off of her dinner roll; drink from your own wine glass and never use a toothpick in her presence.
8. Donít change the color of your hair just because your favorite actor changed his. There is something about a guy with obviously dyed or highlighted hair that is not appealing to most women, much less your wife. The same rule applies to the eyebrows, too!
9. Clinging vines eventually choke. Donít immerse yourself solely into your wifeís world, neglecting your own interests and hobbies. Find a separate interest you can enjoy alone or with your friends, even if it is only once in awhile.
10. Donít flirt with her girlfriends. If you think having her friends notice you will impress your wife and make her want you more, think again. You will be on the couch before you can utter the words "Iím sorry."
11. Let her know that you take your marriage seriously. Some obvious signs that you take pride in yourself and your marriage are maintaining a job, not quitting one job until you have another, coming home on time if you say you will be home for dinner, being dependable and true to your word, offering to help with the kids and the chores, never discussing personal marital issues with another person unless it is with a counselor or a trusted friend that you are absolutely sure is wanting and willing to give sound advice, and always being upfront about difficult issues, even when they may be uncomfortable to discuss.
12. Offer a listening ear. Women like to "vent" and enjoy the dialog between another person, especially their husband. Turn off the television and listen with both ears. Your wife can tell if you have one eye on the basketball score and another on your smartphone. Whatever you do, donít make the mistake of asking her something she just talked to you about several minutes earlier.
13. Wax. Take a good look at your back, nose and ears and decide if you need some hair removal. Ask your wife for her opinion and heed her advice.
14. If you need glasses, for goodness sakes wear them. Squinting to see a movie, a menu, or a road sign is not as attractive to your wife as a hip, chic pair of designer specs.
Okay, guys, armed with a little know how, go out there and make your wife feel special, and not just for today.
Diane Gottsman, a nationally recognized etiquette expert, is the owner of The Protocol School of Texas, a company specializing in etiquette training for corporations, universities and individuals, striving to polish their interpersonal skills. You can reach Diane at 877-490-1077 or www.protocolschooloftexas.com.